The 2023 GIINsight series provides data-driven insights into impact investor characteristics, impact investing activity and allocations, financial performance, impact measurement & management approaches, and current trends in the industry.
This series of research briefs provides a comprehensive overview of the impact investing industry based on data from 308 impact investors globally who collectively manage US$371 billion. Each report in the series seeks to fill industry knowledge gaps, providing investors with data insights on asset allocations and financial performance, enabling them to make more informed decisions regarding their impact investments going forward. The 2023 GIINsight briefs build upon the GIIN’s previous flagship reports, the Annual Impact Investor Surveys.
Volumes 1 and 2 in this series are attached: 2023 GIINsight: Impact Investor Demographics and 2023 GIINsight: Impact Investing Allocations, Activity & Performance. Subsequent briefs will be released in July and August this year, which will have a focused insight on impact measurement & management and emerging trends in impact investing.
A few highlights from the report:
- 49% of investors focus on emerging markets, while 51% focus on developed markets.
- Industry’s global landscape, which spans 49 countries and 10 regions.
- Nearly three-quarters of impact investors seek market-rate returns.
- Impact assets under management have grown at a compound annual growth rate of 18% over the past 5 years among a subset of 88 investors.
- Impact investors have increased assets allocated to impact strategies with significant growth in public markets, housing, and technology investments.
- Investment managers increased their sources of capital from all investor types between 2017 and 2022 – most prominently, pension funds and insurance companies, which grew by a compound annual growth rate of 32%.
- Impact investors consistently meet or exceed their financial targets, with realized returns within 2% of financial projections.
For a link to Volume 1 and 2
REPORT – VOLUME 1: IMPACT INVESTOR DEMOGRAPHICS
REPORT – VOLUME 2: IMPACT INVESTING ALLOCATIONS, ACTIVITY & PERFORMANCE